DEADLINE TO APPLY: Oct. 31, 2019
Do you care about diversity in journalism? Are you ready to support folks working to desegregate the news business? If so, you might be a perfect fit for our new role as the Maynard Institute’s membership and alumni coordinator.
You will lead development of our membership and alumni program. This exciting position is perfect for someone who wants to bring passion, imagination, a sense of humor and a serious commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in journalism. For more than four decades, the institute has been pushing to empower people of diverse backgrounds to excel in news organizations and become leaders in service of equity and inclusion.
We are ready to pivot and seek support from the more than 2,000 graduates of our programs, including recent alumni. We seek those who have benefited from Maynard programs or who care about journalism reflecting the diversity of the nation. While we need, value and appreciate the support of philanthropy, we must engage graduates and persuade them to help support our core programs, such as Maynard 200, so the next generation of journalism entrepreneurs, leaders and storytellers of color can strive and thrive.
Working closely with our partners at the News Revenue Hub, a nonprofit that provides membership management services and strategic advice, you will:
- Write inspiring member communications
- Design a compelling benefits program.
- Plan and produce public events to engage graduates, alumni and friends of the institute, and manage event follow-up, such as email blasts.
- Enter and manage Salesforce data.
- Prepare reports and be members’ responsive, enthusiastic contact within the organization.
- Assist co-executive directors in crafting grant proposals and grant reports.
- Build a membership program that consistently strives for improved acquisition, conversion and retention rates.
- Develop and execute membership campaigns, including renewals, year-end giving, board of directors campaigns and other special appeals.
- Write and edit member communications using tools such as Mailchimp to send customized versions of those communications to appropriate recipients.
- Manage membership data in Salesforce, including segmenting lists, running reports on performance, updating records and performing some back-end processes.
- Analyze data to better understand and be responsive to alumni and supporters.
- Provide insights to ensure that membership content, social media and other communications have a unified voice.
- Track and maintain member participation and engagement statistics by creating reports and spreadsheets and use tracking information to determine potential leads and members prime for larger donations.
- This position reports to the co-executive director.
- At least two years of experience using a database such as Salesforce.
- A four-year degree.
- Some work experience in communications, public relations, customer service or development.
- Experience developing or running a successful membership program, or related experience.
- Excellent interpersonal skills – ability to work independently and lead and participate as a member of cross-departmental teams.
- Diplomacy: ability to work with others with patience and enthusiasm.
- Detail-oriented with ability to synthesize extensive research and data into clear written and oral presentations.
- Some experience writing grant proposals and grant reports.
Type of Position and Benefits
Full-time with medical coverage and a 403(b) retirement savings plan. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Institute offices are in Emeryville, Calif., but employees are located primarily in the Bay Area and Washington, D.C., area. Applicants living in either area are preferred.
Please send a cover letter and résumé with the subject line “MEMBERSHIP AND ALUMNI COORDINATOR” to Alida Birnam, the institute’s executive assistant, at email@example.com. Deadline: October 31, 2019.
About the Maynard Institute
We promote diversity in the news media through improved coverage, hiring, business practices and training programs that equip journalists with leadership, multimedia skills and subject expertise for news organizations across platforms.
Our primary mission is to ensure that all segments of our diverse society are fairly, accurately and credibly portrayed.