CalMatters is a nonprofit, nonpartisan news venture dedicated to explaining the policy and politics of America’s biggest state and the world’s fifth largest economy. We produce vivid, original journalism and data-driven news analyses and distribute our work to more than 180+ media partners, on calmatters.org, Apple News and SmartNews.
Why work at CalMatters:
You get to join a talented team of media professionals dedicated to telling the stories of what happens in the state Capitol. Every team member has a significant hand in determining our direction and success. We have the financial backing of smart, politically diverse funders and foundations who strongly believe in and support our work. Plus, we offer:
- Excellent health and retirement benefits
- Regular workshops and trainings
- Annual professional development stipend
CalMatters is committed to diversity and especially encourages members of underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people, and people with disabilities.
Think you’ve got what it takes? Please email your applications to firstname.lastname@example.org and put the job title in the subject line.
Current Job Openings
- California Divide Reporter – part of a team working on a two-year statewide media collaboration to raise awareness and engagement about poverty and income inequality
- College Journalism Network Editor
- Data Journalist
- Deputy News Editor
- Engagement Editor
- Events Director
- Health Reporter
- Newsletter Editor